Monday, August 16, 2010

Thinking About the New School Year

We've been back at school (teachers) for three days, but today was the first day we were able to start planning for ourselves. It's such a relief to finally have some time to figure out what we will be teaching. I know I could have been planning earlier, but I believe in a separation of school and home and I work hard to maintain it.

I started pulling out the books that I keep on the shelf next to my desk; the ones that really influence my teaching. I will be starting to peruse them to help myself get acquainted with the new school year.

Here are some of my favorites (in no particular order):
Mechanically Inclined by Jeff Anderson
Mini-Lessons for Literature Circles by Harvey Daniels & Nancy Steinke
Everyday Editing by Jeff Anderson
Writing Without Teachers by Peter Elbow
Crafting a Life in Essay, Story, Poem by Donald Murray
Readicide by Kelly Gallagher
In the Middle by Nancie Atwell
Breathing In Breathing Out by Ralph Fletcher
Notebook Know-How by Aimee Buckner
Time for Meaning by Randy Bomer
For a Better World by Randy and Katherine Bomer
Hidden Gems by Katherine Bomer
Image Grammar by Harry Noden
Nonfiction Craft Lessons by Joann Portalupi & Ralph Fletcher
Craft Lessons by Joann Portalupi & Ralph Fletcher
Study Driven by Katie Wood Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment